21 Pilots, 2015
This song works best for levels intermediate and up. Choose from the following activities:
- Listening Listen to the song while reading the lyrics. Unfortunately, the lyrics on most lyrics websites are inaccurate. Punctuated, correct lyrics are below.
- Post-Listening Watch the official music video.
- Post-Listening Practice the construction wish + simple past to make a wish in the present, a construction that is used ten times in the song. (I wish I had a better voice, Wish we could turn back time, etc.) Permission is granted to reproduce the worksheet below for classroom use.
- Post-Listening Practice the construction wish + simple past to make a wish in the present by playing the Memory Circle game. First, have students complete one of the sentences below:
I wish I had _______________________________.
I wish I could _______________________________.
I wish I didn’t have to _______________________________.
Students form a circle and follow the steps below. (A circle should not contain more than 12 students, so they may need to form several circles.)
- Student 1 says the sentence he/she wrote. (For example, I wish I had more time to study.)
- Student 2 repeats what Student 1 said. (For example, Maria wishes she had more time to study.)
- Student 2 then adds his/her own sentence. (For example, I wish I had a new car.)
- Student 3 repeats what Students 1 and 2 said. (For example, Maria wishes she had more time to study. Yoshi wishes he had a new car.)
- Student 3 adds his/her own sentence.
- Students continue going around the circle, repeating what the other students said, in order, and then adding his/her own sentence.
- After the last student says all the sentences, ask students to give him/her a round of applause. (It’s not easy to be the last student!)