Kelly Clarkson, 2004
This song works well as a starting point for a discussion about making changes. The lesson would work well at the start of the school year or the New Year, when many people are thinking about making a fresh start.
Choose from the following activities:
- Listening Listen to the story about singer Kelly Clarkson. The audio recording is free on the Pearson catalog site. Click on “Stories Behind Songs Audio” at the top of the page. Then click on “Story 7: “Take a Chance.” Teaching Tip: You could narrow the listening activity by focusing on one strategy. For example, before listening, students could try to predict what chance Kelly Clarkson took. Or they could listen for the answers to questions you have written on the board. (This story is from the textbook True Stories Behind the Songs.)
- Listening Copy the lyrics for “Breakaway” from the Internet. Listen to the official audio video while reading the lyrics.
- Post-Listening Watch the official video. The video depicts scenes from Kelly Clarkson’s life. Previewing the video is advised.
- Post-Listening Watch Clarkson’s first American Idol audition in Texas. Skip ahead to minute 14:35, when she is announced as the winner of the final competition and then sings “A Moment Like This.”
- Listening Follow up with a story about another young woman who takes a chance and changes her life. The audio recording is free on the Pearson catalog site. Click on “Stories Behind Songs Audio” at the top of the page. Then click on “Story 8: “The Dare.” Teaching Tip: Before students listen, you will probably need to explain what a dare is. (This story is from the textbook True Stories Behind the Songs.) This story generated a lot of discussion in my multicultural class. I opened the discussion by asking Would something like this ever happen in your home country?
- Post-Listening Structure a discussion on making changes with the worksheet below. Permission granted to duplicate for classroom use.
- Post-Listening Below is another option for structuring the discussion. Permission granted to duplicate for classroom use.