Unit 1 Song: “You’re Beautiful”
1. Story Behind the Song: Who was the “angel” on the subway who inspired this song?
2. Companion Story: Four days after her wedding, a bride disappears when Stalin exiles her family. When is she reunited with her husband?
Unit 2 Song: “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”
3. Story Behind the Song: How did the tradition of singing this song at baseball games begin?
4. Companion Story: What happens when a young female pitcher with major-league aspirations strikes out two famous players in an exhibition game?
Unit 3 Song: “Lean on Me”
5. Story Behind the Song: What were the boyhood memories that inspired Bill Withers to write this song?
6. Companion Story: How does a barista in a coffee shop react when she learns that a customer needs a kidney transplant?
Unit 4 Song: “Simple Gifts”
7. Story Behind the Song: What is it like to live the simple life of a Shaker?
8. Companion Story: What is life like for nine children whose parents believe in surfing, not schooling?
Unit 5 Song: “Peace Train”
9. Story Behind the Song: What accomplishment earned Muhammad Yunus the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize?
10. Companion Story: How does a mountain climber repay a village chief in Pakistan for saving his life?
Unit 6 Song: “I Dreamed a Dream”
11. Story Behind the Song: Was Susan Boyle singing about her own life when she sang the song that made her a star overnight?
12. Companion Story: What is the true identity of a man working as an aide in a nursing home?
Unit 7 Song: “Follow the Drinking Gourd”
13. Story Behind the Song: Could this song have guided escaped slaves to the North?
14. Companion Story: In what daring way do two East German families escape to the West during the Cold War?
Unit 8 Song: “My Heart Will Go On”
15. Story Behind the Song: How do the stars of the movie Titanic help the last survivor of the Titanic disaster?
16. Companion Story: When a plane carrying 150 passengers flies into a flock of geese, where does it make an emergency landing?